Dutch A Literature SSST
In the IBDP, students can choose the programme Dutch A: Literature SSST (Standard Level). SSST stands for ‘school supported self-taught’, which means that the programme is not taught at the day school but that the student prepares for the exam himself or herself through independent study supervised by an external tutor. IBID offers this external tuition.
The IBID programme is fully in line with the curriculum and final attainment levels set by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). The teaching material we developed is efficient, varied and flexible:
- we prepare our students for the set exam components of the IB Dutch A Literature programme; we offer optimal guidance on each component.
- we make extensive use of various media: a radio interview with an author, a short TV excerpt, a relevant magazine article, etc.
- students have a weekly Skype-session with their tutor.
- the programme is made to measure and can be adjusted to the level and/or interests of the student.
A crucial component is the weekly feedback, which contributes to the personal support. We challenge students to develop their ideas and to express them as accurately as possible. The intensive guidance we provide allows us to monitor the progress closely.
The IB Dutch A: Literature SSST programme covers two academic years.
In close consultation with the school, IBID can also provide a ‘made-to-measure’ programme in the form of a one-year accelerated programme. This may be necessary if circumstances have prevented a student from taking Dutch A Literature SSST in the first year of the IBDP. Furthermore, we sometimes have students who wish to take the ‘anticipated exam’ for IB Dutch A Literature SSST in the first IBDP– year.
Dutch B SL+HL
Dutch B is a ‘taught course’, developed for classroom teaching. When there is no Dutch B-teacher available in school, and a student has urgent reasons for choosing Dutch B, the school may seek for IBO’s permission to work with an online tutor. In most cases IBO grants this permission when the school can guarantee that the chosen tutor is an IB Dutch B-teacher from an IB-school. IBID qualifies for this tutoring service, for both Dutch B SL (Standard Level) and Dutch B HL (Higher Level).
The IBID-programme for Dutch B is fully in line with the curriculum and final attainment levels set by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO):
- We prepare our students for the set exam components of the IB Dutch B programme and we offer optimal guidance on each component;
- We offer a wide variety of oral and written texts for audiences, contexts and purposes associated with academic and personal interests. These authentic texts will explore the Dutch/Flemish culture. In addition, the study of two literary works is required at HL;
- Students have a weekly Skype-session with their tutor, and regularly even more intensive for HL -students;
- the programme is made-to-measure and can be adjusted to the level and/or interests of the student.
The IBID-tutor will work in close cooperation with the student’s IB-school, which is crucial in all aspects of the course, especially regarding the oral exam. The IB-Dutch B programme covers two academic years.